Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

1A, 1B, 1C: The Benefits of Bilingualism




The New York Times

Gray Matter: Why Bilinguals are Smarter

By YUDHIJIT BHATTACHARJEE
Published: March 17, 2012

SPEAKING two languages rather than just one has obvious practical benefits in an increasingly globalized world. But in recent years, scientists have begun to show that the advantages of bilingualism are even more fundamental than being able to converse with a wider range of people. Being bilingual, it turns out, makes you smarter. It can have a profound effect on your brain, improving cognitive skills not related to language and even shielding against dementia in old age.

Read all of the article here.

As someone who has struggled to learn to read, write and speak one language and half-hearted attempts to learn another, I am humbled by people who know two or three or four or more languages. How is this possible?  I am interested to hear stories from all of you re: acquiring a language, whether it has been one (like me) or more.  I invite you to post your comments here at our blog.


3 comments:

  1. The article was pretty interesting.. In my opinion knowing more than one language opens more doors for you because speaking to another person in their native tongue brings about a more comfortable bond within the relationship or conversation at that time. As for improving cognitive skills, I would agree having to pull out different words and vocabulary for the same thing would definitely must mean you are smart or at least smart-er. I am currently bi-lingual and have already finished a year of my 3rd language, and will be working on my 4th language of study in about a year. Had to comment on this! Great read.

    Mike 1C 7AM MW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,
    I'm impressed! Who wouldn't be? Going for four languages. It's a plus for your cognitive skills and economic opportunities.

    --Christopher McCabe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked reading the article, but I wondered if the author was speaking about individuals who have are bilingual starting at a young age. If so, I do not think those who are bilingual starting at a young age makes an individual smarter. I think the author is generalizing the population who are bilingual. Perhaps bilinguals are smarter in some areas that nonbilinguals are not, so I think the article is misleading. Not all bilingual individuals are smart. As someone who is bilingual (English and Mandarin), I find difficulty expressing myself in both languages due to lack my of vast vocabulary in either language. I feel stuck in the middle. I speak English at school and when talking to my siblings but speak Mandarin to my mom and relatives. Additionally, in the city I grew up in, there were many bilingual kids, but few were "smart," which leads me to believe the article is misleading...

    This is just my thoughts from reading the article. I read it last semester, and I had a different view on the article.

    Rainbow Sun
    Engl 1C 7:00am

    ReplyDelete