Search This Blog

Monday, February 3, 2014

Andre Kertesz: Photographs of Readers

photograph by Andre Kertesz: Man Reading (with cow), Paris, 1928 

Who is that guy, above, reading with that cow looking over his shoulder?  I have no idea.  But if you wish to learn more about Andre Kertesz (1894-1985), the photographer (of the picture, above, and those below), see the page for the PBS Americian Masters. and go to a great page blogger of photographer Erick Kim has devoted to Kertesz. The Museum of Contemporary Photography at Columbia College in Chicago has an extensive Kertesz biography and archive.

New York City Skyline, Chimneys, 1963


Reading in New York City, 1963


Esztergom, Hungary, 1915


Second Avenue, New York City, Man reading in antique store, 1969


New York (boy on pile of newspapers eating ice cream), October 12, 1944



Paris, 1923


Nara. Commuters on a train. 1968





Circus Performer in Dressing Room, 1969


Long Island University, New York, 1963 


Café du Dôme, Paris, 1923

Man Reading with Magnifying Glass, New York, 1959

And there's more photos of readers by Kertesz here and here. There is also a Kertesz series produced by the BBC on YouTube. This is the first part of the Master Photographers program on him.

Chief Reading Chekhov, Los Angeles. 2010

13 comments:

  1. I will try to read prof.McCabe.. but hope that we don't have quiz tomorrow. Essay,,, just can't finish. Very challenging, but it is discouraging. (T_T)

    Kang
    English 1A
    T-Th 09:15

    ReplyDelete
  2. This, I can do! And those are excellent photos!

    See you in class today, Professor!

    Emmanuel Soriano
    English 1A
    TTh 9:15 AM

    ReplyDelete
  3. shakespeare's language is very difficult to a 2nd language learner like me professor McCabe....
    I am scared of the quiz if it will be on the key line..because the style of speech is different than English language today, so I'm afraid I can't remember the line though.

    anyway still trying hard to read, but I took ur advice and read the online synopsis and the story is very fun and I think a little more interesting than Romeo and Juliet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimberly,
    Shakespeare's language is difficult for first language learners, as well. Still, I have found it worth the effort. It sounds like you have spent some time with Hamlet, the story and its language, and that is good. I think you'll enjoy the class that much more tomorrow morning. I hope you do.

    --Christopher McCabe

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "Second Avenue, New York City, Man reading in antique store, 1969" is one of my favorites!!!
    I'll take you up on those tickets!( just sent you and email)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elva,
    Glad to hear that you like the photograph. Andre K. knew how to point and click.
    Chief will be carefully reviewing all movie ticket drawing entries this weekend. Stay tuned for the results.
    --Christopher McCabe

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh i didn't know that we will finish the book in no time and i thought we will take like 2-3 weeks to finish coyotes.... i will try my best to finish it before coming back to class from the hospital... i hope that there are no quiz or test during my absences

    Minh Tang
    1A
    T-TH 9:15-11:20am

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love an honest Chief! Good job boy!

    Donna Momsen
    1B
    MW 7-9

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have three winners of a pair of free movie tickets each!
    Julie (1A)
    Kendra (1B)
    Elva (1C)

    Winners, be sure to pick up your tickets from me this week.

    @Donna, you would have been proud of Chief. A good boy. An honest boy, throughout the proceedings.

    --Christopher McCabe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elva,
    Be sure to ask me for the tickets on Thursday. Sorry I didn't give them to you today.
    --Christopher McCabe

    ReplyDelete
  11. professor McCabe,
    I have only one friend's number. I text her to ask what we did on Wed(4/13) class, but it turned out to be the wrong number. Other than missing the final scene from Hamlet where Hamlet dies, is there anything else I missed?
    Regards,
    Kimberly J.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kimberly,
    You're OK. We spent most of our time on Hamlet and did read a poem, "Death be not Proud," by John Donne. But that was it. We'll get to Joyce and Hemingway readings on the Monday we return from spring break.

    Sorry about the delay in responding.

    --Christopher McCabe

    ReplyDelete