Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

GUSTAVO DUDAMEL: The One, True Dude!



Some readers of English with McCabe, especially some new fans of Gustavo Dudamel from English 1A--and I know there are some old friends of The Dude himself, out there, too--who might want to know more about him and even see him live, on the podium. 

The Los Angeles Philharmonic has put together a page (or is it pages?) on Dudamel. The overwhelming Dudamel website can be found here..  Hunt around on the site, get information about concerts, Dudamel's recording history, video interviews with him, and music, music, music. He does conduct concerts during the summer at the Hollywood Bowl  and, of course, he conducts the Los Angeles Philharmonic at Disney Hall, which was designed by architect Frank Gehry.  It is not uncommon for additional tickets to be released the day of that night's concert, even for performances previously announced as "sold out."

Tickets go fast for his performances, but with some planning and persistence you can get in without having to pay ransom prices to a scalper.

KAIRO ORTEZ POSTED THAT STUDENT TICKETS FOR DISNEY HALL ARE AVAILABLE FOR PERFORMANCES.  SEE THE COMMENTS SECTION.  THANKS, KAIRO!

On Sunday May 16th, 2010 Dudamel was profiled once more on 60 Minutes. See this other 60 Minutes page about him too. The program follows his first year as the music director of the L.A. Philharmonic and work with Los Angeles youth orchestras.

Guess whose in the news, again?  Do I need to tell you?  Didn't think so. Search "Gustavo Dudamel" on Google. You'll find plenty. Read about LA Phil Live and how Dudamel and the  Los Angeles Philharmonic perform concerts that are HD broadcast in movie theaters.


7 comments:

  1. This guy is the Michael Jordan of Orchestra Music.

    -Hrair P.1A/9:15

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Gustavo! I saw him conduct at the Hollywood Bowl last October. He really is amazing.

    -Paula Gonzalez/1C/7:00am

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hrair and Paula,
    I'm glad you like him, and I hope you get to see him again and again and again. . .
    --Christopher McCabe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay I'm not in this class but I was doing some research for my Architecture class on Saturday when I found out I could buy tickets at Disney Concert Hall for $10.00 with a student ID... It seemed like a pretty good deal so I bought a ticket and got to experience Susanna Mälkki's performance for a fraction of what the people sitting around me had paid... So I will definetly check this dude out for $10.00 or if I want the best seats I might be willing to pay $20.00

    Kairo Ortez

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kairo,
    Just saw your post. A good find re: student tickets. Thanks for letting us know, and I hope you enjoyed the performance.

    As for the Dude; he's worth seeing, even for $20. Or more.

    --Christopher McCabe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gustavo "the Dude" is so good, he even has a famous Pinks hotdog named after him! -Janeen Gonzalez
    English 1A

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad i have plan for the weekend, otherwise i will go with my friends or families.

    ---Ling Fung, english 1B MW 0700

    ReplyDelete