Search This Blog

Sunday, September 27, 2015

1B: James Baldwin (1924-1987)

James Baldwin by Carl Van Vechten, September 13, 1955


General information about James Baldwin can be found at the sites hosted by CSPAN American Writers and PBS American Masters television programs. There is also a profile and video on him at bio.com.

Here's an excerpt of a documentary on Baldwin; it includes an interview with Baldwin as he talks about his family and remembers his life in Harlem:




Go to the Paris Review site and read the interview with him. If  the link is broken do a search for the magazine, Spring 1984, Issue 94.  Baldwin also gave a speech on civil rights and race at UC Berkeley on Jan. 15, 1979. You can watch an excerpt of it here:

    

CSPAN has a complete copy of the speech at their site and they profile Baldwin at this page. PBS American Masters did a program on Baldwin, called James Baldwin: The Price of the Ticket. Unfortunately, they are no longer showing it on their website. However, there are selections of it on YouTube.

Music is a critical part of Baldwin's "Sonny's Blues." There are references to gospel, blues, jazz, and rhythm & blues. We watch, along with the narrator, how Sonny is entranced by a gospel group singing "The Old Ship of Zion."  Listen here to a version by the Roberta Martin Singers:



There's more. For the country blues, music the narrator's uncle likely played, listen to Robert Johnson and Blind Willie McTell, performing songs they recorded in the 1930s. For rhythm and blues, like the song the barmaid danced to, listen to Big Mama Thornton and Little Richard. FYI: Thornton first recorded "Hound Dog" in 1952; this performance on YouTube is from 1965. Elvis Presley first recorded "Hound Dog" in 1956. Little Richard wrote "Long Tall Sally" in 1956, and it was subsequently recorded by Elvis Presley, The Beatles and many other popular acts.

The great jazz pianist Sonny Clark, who performed in the 1950s and 1960s, is an example of what Baldwin's Sonny might have played in a New York nightclub. Examples of Clark's playing appear below. (Clark, as you guessed, is not related to Baldwin's Sonny.)






At the end of Baldwin's story, Sonny plays a version of "Am I Blue," a standard that has been recorded countless times. Read the lyrics:


Am I Blue? (from 1929)
 
by
Harry Akst and Grant Clarke

It was a morning, long before dawn
Without a warning I found he was gone
How could he do it
Why should he do it
He never done it before

Am I blue
Am I blue
Ain’t these tears, in these eyes telling you
How can you ask me am I blue
Why, wouldn’t you be too
If each plan
With your man
Done fell through

There was a time
When I was his only one
But now i’m
The sad and lonely one...lonely

Was I gay
Until today
Now he’s gone, and we’re through
Am I blue 

Here's five recordings for your viewing and listening pleasure by Ethel WatersHoagy CarmichaelBillie HolidayRay Charles and Kevin Conroy.  What's your favorite?


5 comments:

  1. Billie Holiday would have to be favorite although all are great artists and compose beautiful music. I love how Billie Holiday's voice flows so smoothly with the music. The lyrics are great. My favorite songs by her would be "I'll be seeing you" it's such a beautiful song to listen to. Another piece I really enjoy is "love me or leave me" great song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, it is a tie between Holiday and Charles. Holiday's voice as Eunice says, flows whimsically with the music and goes perfect with the lyrics. While Charles' voice resonates throughout the whole song and gives you that emotional feel that he puts into everything he does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kennon's comment about how Charles' style of singing the song conveys the mournful tone of the lyrics. While listening to all of the versions of "I am Blue," my heart grieved for the voice from Charles' arrangement. I'm not sure if it's just me, but I noticed that the way he stretched his words and varied his pitch, resembles that of someone who wasn't sober, and intensifies the depression felt from losing someone you love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite version of all the songs was Holidays'. I am a huge jazz fan and feel like her version was the same version that Sonny and the band played in the nightclub the night that his brother finally understand Sonny and all of his hardships. The emotion conveyed in her song was different than the emotion conveyed in Charles' version. In his version the sadness in his tone was evident from the beginning whereas her version had more of an upbeat tone despite how sad the lyrics are. I like both versions however I would prefer to listen to Holidays.
    Cynamon Mantley
    T-Th 9:45-11:50

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a hard time choosing between Hoagy Charmicheal's and Ray Charles' versions of the song. Hoagy's version is more upbeat than the other's versions. I especially like his sassy duet with Lauren Bacall at the end of the song. Hoagy's voice is so sweet and gentle. He sings it like a person who has a story to tell--no pity needed. It sounds like it's coming from a person who's gone through a rough life but now he just wants to share his experiences, much like Sonny in "Sonny's Blues".

    Ray Charles' version is almost the complete opposite of Hoagy's. Ray sings the song with soul and pain. I felt the sadness of the chaos and hardships that he's endured throughout his life. For me, Ray's version had the added beauty of the accompaniment of the bass and trumpet, which give this song such a distinct sound. I especially like the trumpet. The trumpet has a few solos throughout the song, and it's almost as if the trumpet has its own sad story to tell.

    Rosario Anguiano
    T-Th 9:45-11:50 am

    ReplyDelete