Search This Blog

Monday, October 26, 2015

Harvard Prof. of Physics: Just Ask. Then Keep Asking

The New York Times, September 14, 2011

Just Ask. Then Keep Asking.

By LISA RANDALL, professor of physics, Harvard University and author of "Knocking on Heaven's Door"


I was shy the way many geeky girls can be. Professors hardly noticed that they rarely answered girls’ questions before some boy who didn’t actually know the answer interrupted. But a professor who later became my adviser gave me the best advice I ever received, which was to not be afraid to speak up and ask questions. Suddenly teachers were speaking directly to me, and my questions were usually good enough that I could detect the relief of other students who actually had the same ones, reassuring me I was doing the right thing. Now, as a professor, I know not to see classes as passive experiences. The occasional interruption keeps people engaged and illuminates subtle points, and in research even leads to new research directions. Just participating and questioning makes your mind work better. Don’t you agree?


In the same article, "The Educational Experiences That Change a Life," others recall pivotal moments in their learning.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with and embrace this whole-heartedly. When I was younger I was always afraid to ask questions because I was afraid I would look stupid. Now I understand that asking questions is the only way to get your answers--even if the question is dumb. Yes, dumb questions do exist, but it's always better to ask, than to "wing-it" and get an undesirable outcome. (I have to add, that the question may be dumb to them but not dumb to you, so ask!). Asking questions out-loud in class is so helpful for so many reasons. 1) It will answer your question 2) You're helping other students by asking things they may not have even thought of 3)you help the professor know what is confusing the students. So again, ask questions. Everybody wins!

    Rosario A. Eng 1B T-Th

    ReplyDelete